‘I DESIGN!’ is a year long residency at Mandeville Primary School, Hackney. It’s all about ideas and design with innovation as the driving theme. The project engages pupils from reception to year 6 in art and design activities over the academic year 17/18.
Termly projects present children’s art on newly installed exhibition panels which will inspire exciting design outcomes in the school building over the Summer break 2018.
Autumn 2 : Reception / Yr1 / Yr2
Theme: Redesigning the school entrance
Exhibition dates: 8th Jan – 29th March
Spring 2: Yr3 / Yr4
Theme: Body proportions and architecture
Exhibition dates: 16th April – 6th July
Summer 2 : Yr5 / Yr6
Theme: Environment, wellbeing and lighting
Exhibition dates: 16th July – tbc
UP COMING SHOW…
Where: Mandeville Primary School
When: Academic year 2017/18
Topic: Innovation & Design
Year group: Reception – Year 6
‘I DESIGN!’ is a year-long project run by Art Hoppers in partnership with Mandeville School. All children from reception through to year 6 will engage in the project. The project aims to show learners the importance of design in our everyday lives – To communicate information and to increase efficiency and joy. The role of graphic design for example is vital in sending out clear public messages. Product design gives us objects with a function… In understanding the value of design, pupils will understand the usefulness of ideas and the importance of innovation in a rapidly evolving world.
The project will follow a 3 tier strategy:
- Art delivery – Classroom sessions (see ‘Termly Projects’ above for more info)
- Exhibition / Public Engagement – Display children’s artworks / Invite families to see the exhibition
- Design application – Apply design outcomes in the school building, informed by children’s artworks.
- Art sessions with pupils will take place in the second half of each term working from the youngest to eldest year groups throughout the academic year.
- Each class will benefit from one half day art session with two Art Hoppers artists.
- The project will have a theme each term, leading towards specific design goals.
- As part of their creative learning, a school trip to a relevant cultural centre will be arranged to compliment classroom activities.
Art Educator: Claire Ward Thornton
Supporting Art Educators: Sadie Edginton / Johanna Valeur / Isha Bohling / Renata Minoldo
A series of newly designed exhibition panels will go up around the school building to reveal the ‘I DESIGN!’ identity. The panels will accommodate the children’s artworks during exhibition periods.
The design of the exhibition panels was informed by children’s feedback. We held a poll asking pupils in KS1 what they might change in the school – The majority expressed a wish for more colour. The panels were numbered and given a stripe of colour top and bottom to distinguish between their location.
Download Leaflet in PDF: Leaflet-I-Design-AH
Stats about this project
- Texture / Collage 10%
- Colour Theory 10%
- 3D Forms / Op Art 10%
- Physical drawing (large scale works) 30%
- Origami 10%
- Mixed Media 20%
- Printmaking / Stencils 10%