#idesignMDV‘I DESIGN!’ is a year long residency of Art Hoppers at Mandeville Primary School, Hackney. It’s all about ideas and design with innovation as the driving theme. The project engaged pupils from reception to year 6 in art and design activities over the academic year 17/18. Termly projects presented children’s art on newly installed exhibition panels which inspired exciting design outcomes in the school building over the Summer break 2018.
Artskickers Awards 2018We’re delighted that Mandeville School: Reception, Yrs 1&2 are up for the FUTURE ARTIST Award (Ages 5-12) for their involvement in #idesignMDV. So excited for them all. See ‘Exhibition 1’ below for details and image galleries of their work. Keep an eye on the results which will be announced following the award ceremony on 13th September. THANK YOU #artskickers! More info about the shortlist here
‘I DESIGN!’‘I DESIGN!’ is a year-long project run by Art Hoppers in partnership with Mandeville School. All children from reception through to year 6 will engage in the project. The project aims to show learners the importance of design in our everyday lives – To communicate information and to increase efficiency and joy. The role of graphic design for example is vital in sending out clear public messages. Product design gives us objects with a function… In understanding the value of design, pupils will understand the usefulness of ideas and the importance of innovation in a rapidly evolving world.
PROJECT STRUCTURE:The project will follow a 3 tier strategy:
- Art delivery – Classroom sessions (see ‘Termly Projects’ above for more info)
- Exhibition / Public Engagement – Display children’s artworks / Invite families to see the exhibition
- Design application – Apply design outcomes in the school building, informed by children’s artworks.
- Art sessions with pupils will take place in the second half of each term working from the youngest to eldest year groups throughout the academic year.
- Each class will benefit from one half day art session with two Art Hoppers artists.
- The project will have a theme each term, leading towards specific design goals.
- As part of their creative learning, a school trip to a relevant cultural centre will be arranged to compliment classroom activities.
Exhibition Spaces:A series of newly designed exhibition panels will go up around the school building to reveal the ‘I DESIGN!’ identity. The panels will accommodate the children’s artworks during exhibition periods. The design of the exhibition panels was informed by children’s feedback. We held a poll asking pupils in KS1 what they might change in the school – The majority expressed a wish for more colour. The panels were numbered and given a stripe of colour top and bottom to distinguish between their location.
Stats about this project
- Texture / Collage 10% 10%
- Colour Theory 10% 10%
- 3D Forms / Op Art 10% 10%
- Physical drawing (large scale works) 30% 30%
- Origami 10% 10%
- Mixed Media 20% 20%
- Printmaking / Stencils 10% 10%
Applied art disciplines
Number of participants
The Big Draw these for 2019 was Drawn to Life. Art Hoppers in partnership with Rich Mix, City & Hackney Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services and local families discuss art and well-being via two community events for The Big Draw festival 2019. A community artwork is up on permanent display in Dalston CLR James Library in Hackney as a result of the project.